The trial of controversial preacher Paul Nthege Mackenzie and 93 co-accused persons continued on Wednesday at the Mombasa Law Courts, with the prosecution calling a number of witnesses in the case involving 283 counts of manslaughter linked to the Shakahola deaths.

Sergeant Benson Ingosi, a senior scene of crime documentation officer, was among those who testified in court.
Sergeant Ingosi, who detailed his role in documenting the crime scene at Shakahola Forest in Kilifi County, informed the court that he travelled to the area alongside the officer Commanding Station (OCS) from Lango Mbaya Police Station. This followed reports that the Good News International Church’s followers were fasting in the forest and being buried in shallow graves.
Upon arrival, Sergeant Ingosi said they encountered makeshift shelters constructed from polythene sheets and enclosed with thorny branches.
He documented the scene through photographs, capturing images of the canopies, victims, bedding, houses where the victims were allegedly residing, and several bodies recovered from the site. The officer further testified that some of the victims found at the scene were unconscious and unable to speak.
The court also heard testimony from Antony Wambugu, a senior engineer at Telkom Kenya, who specializes in phone data record analysis.
He stated that he was requested by the investigators to analyze 16 phone numbers. His analysis involved a number of activities, including reviewing subscriber registration details, call data records, mobile money transactions and handset association.
According to his findings, 15 of the numbers were registered with Telkom Kenya, while two were linked to T-Cash money transfer services.
Several family members who lost their loved ones in the Shakahola tragedy also gave their testimonies virtually. Jembe Justus Chengo, a 39-year-old, informed the court that she lost her sister and her eight-year-old niece, who were followers of the church.
Silvano Ambakwa recounted the disappearance and subsequent death of his younger brother, a father of five.
The court further heard from Mama Ruth Kadzo Kahindi, who said that she previously worshipped at the church but was expelled following disagreements with pastor Mackenzie. She added that she is not aware of her grandchildren’s whereabouts.
The hearing continues as the prosecution proceeds with its case against the accused persons in connection with the Shakahola mass deaths.