New Recipe

New Recipe

CS Oparanya Raises Alarm Over Budget Cuts in His Ministry

Co-operatives and MSMEs Development Cabinet Secretary Wycliffe Oparanya has publicly expressed frustration over what he described as inadequate funding for his ministry, saying the lack of proper budget allocations has left him struggling to run his office effectively. Speaking on Thursday before the National Assembly Departmental Committee on Trade, Industry and Cooperatives, Oparanya said he […]

Joint Security Operation Dismantles Suspected Al-Shabaab Camp in Digdiga, Garissa County

A joint security operation in the Digdiga general area has led to the dismantling of a suspected Al-Shabaab camp at Qanjara Durow, authorities have said. According to the National Police Service (NPS), the coordinated operation began when personnel established a presence near Gel Qad Junction before advancing toward Qanjara Durow, where they encountered suspected militants […]

High Court Backs Nderitu Gachagua son’s Request to Access Evidence in Conviction Review Bid

The High Court has directed officers at Manyani Maximum Prison to escort inmate Jackson Kihara Gachucha to retrieve documents he claims are linked to his late father’s estate and could support his attempt to overturn a 20-year prison sentence.

Appearing before Justice Alexander Muteti, Jackson argued that he was wrongly convicted and claimed important documents connected to his case had remained hidden following instructions left by his father before his death in 2017.

“If a court can give me escort, I can hand over the documents to my family. Had I disclosed to my uncle where the documents are, I could not be here today,” Jackson told the court.

The judge ordered prison authorities at Manyani Maximum Prison to facilitate the process and provide security during the retrieval of the documents.

Jackson further told the court that he decided to challenge the circumstances surrounding his conviction after allegedly receiving government assurances of protection on October 11, 2024.

“I was framed up and improperly convicted. I am also challenging the manner in which I was convicted,” he submitted.

He also argued that the four years he spent in remand custody before sentencing were not considered during sentencing, saying the omission violated his constitutional rights.

According to Jackson, the 20-year sentence imposed on him was excessive compared to penalties handed to suspects facing more serious offences.

“There are murder suspects who have received lighter sentences than mine. According to the aggravating factors, I believe I should have received a lesser sentence,” he said.

Jackson urged the court to consider his conduct and rehabilitation while in prison, saying he had trained as a teacher during his incarceration.

He also presented medical records and other supporting documents as part of his application seeking a sentence review.

However, Justice Muteti told him that the High Court could not reopen factual matters that had already been determined by the Court of Appeal unless there were grounds for a retrial.

“I cannot revisit issues of fact that have been dealt with by the Court of Appeal unless the issues relate to a retrial,” the judge said.

The judge further advised Jackson to consult his family lawyer and consider escalating the matter to the Supreme Court, noting that some of the issues raised were beyond the jurisdiction of the High Court.

Clare Ochieng'

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Popular