Thousands of commuters across the country are set to face another day of transport disruptions after negotiations between the government and stakeholders in the matatu sector that failed to produce an agreement on Monday night.

The talks, led by Transport Cabinet Secretary Davis Chirchir and Energy Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi, stretched for several hours into the evening as both sides attempted to resolve a dispute over fuel prices and related concerns affecting the public transport industry.
Although government officials initially signalled progress during a joint media briefing held at around 9:30 p.m., representatives from the matatu sector interrupted the address, saying no final agreement had been reached.
Stakeholders from the sector said there was common ground on measures aimed at curbing fuel adulteration. Among the proposals discussed was the alignment of kerosene and diesel prices to remove the price gap blamed for encouraging the illegal mixing of the two fuels.
Kushian Muchiri, Chair of the Association of Matatu Transport Owners, said discussions on that issue had advanced, but disagreements over diesel pricing remained unresolved.
“We have agreed on the part of adulteration that the price of diesel and kerosene be at par. On the issue of the diesel prices, that one we have not agreed and we have scheduled another meeting. In the meantime, it is our request that all our drivers and owners of vehicles continue keeping their vehicles at home. No disruption, no rioting as we await better engagements which will save the economy,” said Muchiri.
The government indicated that the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA) would announce revised fuel prices later Monday night, a move expected to influence the next phase of negotiations.
Despite the ongoing engagement, leaders in the matatu industry maintained their hardline position, insisting that vehicles would remain off the roads until their concerns were fully addressed.Matatu Owners Association President Albert Karagacha directed operators to suspend services for a second consecutive day on Tuesday, warning that the strike would continue until further notice.
The continued standoff is expected to worsen the transport crisis witnessed on Monday, when thousands of commuters were stranded in major towns and cities.
Businesses, schools and other sectors experienced disruptions as many workers and students struggled to reach their destinations.
With no immediate breakthrough in sight, Kenyans now await the outcome of the next round of talks between the government and transport operators.