President William Ruto has directed the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) to allow Public Service Vehicles (PSVs) to continue using graffiti designs and other artistic bodywork styles.

Speaking during a live address from State House Mombasa on Friday May 22, after holding talks with with public transport operators, President Ruto urged NTSA to halt planned crackdown on matatu graffiti that had been approved by the High Court.
The President further assured that the government would facilitate an enabling environment for matatu operators to maintain artistic expression on their vehicles while ensuring safety and respect for other road users.
“Recognising the important role of creativity and self-expression within our transport culture, I have directed NTSA to facilitate an enabling environment for matatu operators to continue utilising artwork and graffiti on their vehicles,” said the President.
President Ruto’s announcement come barely a month after the High Court dismissed a constitutional petition challenging a directive by the NTSA, requiring public service vehicles to remove graffiti, decorative artwork, and tinted windows.
In a judgement delivered on May 29, 2026, Justice Bahati Mwamuye upheld the legality of the May 2025 enforcement notice issued by NTSA, ruling that the directive was lawful and necessary to promote road safety and compliance in the public transport sector.
The petition, filed by Michael Makubo argued that the directive unfairly targeted matatu operators and threatened nganya culture, known for its colourful graffiti, neon lighting, tinted windows, loud music systems, and customised interiors.
NTSA said the order was based on safety concerns, arguing that heavy artwork and tinted windows reduce visibility and hinder police inspections.
It also stated that the designs hide key markings such as SACCO names, routes, and the yellow line for Public Service Vehicles.