The National Police Service has assured Kenyans of adequate security ahead of a planned nationwide matatu strike scheduled for Monday, May 18, urging the public to remain calm and continue with their daily activities without fear.

In a press statement issued on Sunday by the Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja, the NPS said it had noted reports of the planned strike organized by matatu operators and some actors within the public service transport sector.
“The National Police Service (NPS) has noted reports of a planned matatu strike on Monday, 18 May, organized by a minority of matatu operators and a section of public service transport actors,” the statement read in part.
“The National Police Service wishes to assure Kenyans of their security as they go about their duties tomorrow,” it added.
The police, however, maintained that the majority of stakeholders in the transport industry remain committed to operating normally despite the planned industrial action.
The NPS added that security measures had been enhanced across the country and warned that any disruptive conduct would be dealt with firmly and in accordance with the law.
The Transport Sector Alliance said the planned fuel strike scheduled for Monday, May 18, 2026, will see passenger vehicles, cargo transporters, ride-hailing services, boda bodas and private motorists halt operations from midnight.