The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) has issued a stern warning against the infiltration of criminal activities into ongoing demonstrations across the country, saying investigations into Monday’s unrest are actively underway.

In a statement released on Tuesday, the DCI acknowledged that Kenyans have a constitutional right to peaceful assembly and expression, but cautioned that acts of violence, looting, arson, destruction of property and attacks on motorists or police officers would not be tolerated.
The agency said individuals found engaging in criminal acts during the demonstrations would face legal action, adding that authorities are pursuing those suspected of organising, financing or inciting the chaos witnessed in several parts of the country.
“The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) strongly cautions members of the public against turning legitimate demonstrations into criminal activities,” DCI said.
“While every Kenyan has the constitutional right to peaceful assembly and expression, acts of violence, looting, arson, road blockades, destruction of property, attacks on police or motorists, and any acts that endanger lives are serious criminal offences.”
According to the DCI, a total of 710 suspects have so far been arrested nationwide in connection with the protests and related incidents.
Nairobi recorded the highest number of arrests at 189, followed by Rift Valley with 259 suspects. Eastern region accounted for 103 arrests, while Central had 142. Coast region recorded seven arrests and Western region 10.
The DCI further revealed that many of the suspects had already been arraigned in court on various charges.
The statement comes amid heightened tensions following nationwide demonstrations linked to rising fuel prices and transport disruptions that have affected movement and business operations in several towns.
The agency urged members of the public to remain calm, respect the rights of others and cooperate with security agencies to maintain peace and public safety.